for them unhealthy vegans out there
Coca-cola chicken was one of the first dishes my boyfriend taught me. I hold the recipe quite dearly. However, now that I’m no longer cooking meat, I had to find a new way to enjoy that beautiful, sticky, sweet sauce. It turns out aubergine is a pretty decent substitute haha.
Just some things to bear in mind – I’m saying about 3/4 pint of coke, but you’ve got to keep an eye on it. You’re looking for a syrup-y consistency, something you can spread on the aubergine! Also you have to use Coca-Cola haha, something about the red colour and China haha!
2 tbsp light soy sauce
1 tbsp dark soy sauce
1 tbsp shaoxing rice wine (dry sherry works too!)
About 3/4 pint of cola
4 garlic cloves
1 tbsp neutral oil
Black or white pepper to taste
Suggested garnish: sesame seeds and spring onions
1. Preheat oven to 200C. Slice the aubergine in half lengthways and score deep into the flesh in a crosshatched pattern.
2. Chop the garlic and rub it into the scored flesh. Drizzle some oil over each aubergine, then cover with foil and chuck in the oven for 30 mins.
3. While the aubergines are roasting, combine the soy sauces, wine and cola into a saucepan. Cook until the mixture reduces and leaves you with a black, viscous sauce.
4. Take the aubergines out the oven, remove the foil and chuck them back in for 25 minutes.
5. Take the aubergine out again, this time brush them generous with the sticky sauce before putting them back in the oven for a final 5 minutes. Garnish at the end!