vegan cheese sauce so good ya wanna bathe in it
Maybe it’s because it’s winter. Or perhaps because I’m just exhausted these days. But all I want to eat is super comforting, super stodgy meals that have plenty of love (and calories) in them!
This cheesy bake was something I improvised after a night of binge drinking and a morning spent in the frigid cold, and honestly there was no better remedy! The roasted vegetables are covered in a blanket of thick, creamy vegan cheese sauce that’s deeper in flavour than its dairy counterpart. And the whole thing together is so comforting. I think I’ve found my new pick-me-up!
600g potatoes (I used potatoes that were more suited to mash, and yet they still turned out fine, but go with your instincts!)
1 drizzle olive oil
1 handful cashews (soaked!)
1.5 tbsp olive oil
1.5 tbsp AP flour
300 mls mylk (I used soy milk)
as much nooch as you want (I used about 3 tbsp)
0.5 tsp smoked paprika
2 tsp mustard (I’d go for English or Dijon, wholegrain won’t mix as well!)
1 tsp horseradish paste (this is optional, but I love the taste!)
1 tbsp vegan cream cheese (this is also super optional, I just happened to have some lying around!)
spring onion to garnish
1. preheat the oven to 180C (350F). Chop the potatoes into 2cm cubes (no need to peel), and add to a pot of boiling water for 10 minutes. Save some of the potato water at the end for the cheese sauce!
2. chop the cauliflower so that it is a similar size to the potatoes. Add both to an oven tray with a drizzle of olive oil, plus S&P. Bake for 20 mins, then shoogle it about and bake for another 20 minutes.
3. meanwhile, blitz the cashews with 5 tbsp of potato water, but add gradually until you’re happy with the thin consistency without it being too watery.
4. In a pan, whisk the olive oil and flour over a medium/low heat, then add the mylk and whisk gently until it thickens.
5. Once thick, add the remaining ingredients and stir. Drizzle it over your potatoes and cauliflower, and add some chopped spring onion on top!
And because my taste-buds have been ravaged by too much spicy food, I like a wee squirt of sriracha on top of mine haha! Hope you enjoy this recipe as much as I do! Doesn’t matter how down you’re feeling, there’s always cheesy carbs there to pick you back up again haha!