is butter a larb?
larb. it’s a thing… get into it. this laotian/thai dish is traditionally made with meat, herbs and super fiery chillis, and sometimes served in a little lettuce cup – CUTE! but even cuter is to make it with tofu and mushrooms aha.
i kinda like how it feels summery in a way because it’s light and full of fresh, zesty flavours, yet at the same time has lots of substance from the ‘meat’ and rice and ferocious heat that makes it perfect for winter too!
although i absolutely demolished more of these wee cups in one sitting than i’m proud to admit, it is most definitely a dish for sharing. so definitely get everyone together and get your collective larb on yass 💕
generous handful mint
1 red onion
juice of 1 lime
3 tbsp light soy sauce
1 tbsp sugar
1 block firm tofu
1 punnet shiitake mushrooms
3 thai chilis
1 tbsp chilli ground
1 tsp vegetarian worcestershire sauce
1.5 cup uncooked jasmine rice
- start cooking 1 cup of your rice, leaving 0.5 cups remaining.
- while the rice cooks, finely chop the red onion, garlic, chillis, mushrooms and ginger and set aside. mix together the sugar, soy sauce, worcestershire sauce, lime juice and chilli powder and set aside. roughly chop the herbs and set aside too.
- toast the remaining uncooked rice in a dry pan over a medium heat until golden and then crush in a mortar and pestle or food processor until it forms a coarse powder.
- heat the oil in a wok or large frying pan on a high heat. when hot, add the block of tofu and crumble with a spatula. add the chopped ingredients and stir until browned.
- add the sauce you made earlier and stir until the sauce has mostly evaporated. then remove from the heat and add most of the herbs and the sauce ice powder and stir until combined.
- serve your rice, lettuce, larb, extra herbs and condiments (i like sriracha because i’m BASIC af) for everyone to assemble woop woop!